Monday, December 1, 2008

Sick Pets



Over the four day weekend my dog Odin was unable to move. We weren't too sure what was happening so we called the vet and found out that his hips are bothering him. He's a rottweiler so he's a big dog and because of his size it's hard for him to move around. The vet told us that when we are emotionally ready we might want to think of putting him to sleep. It's a hard thing to think about. We don't want him to be in pain but we also don't want to be the one to decide when he should be put to sleep. I think secretly we wish that he would die peacefully in his sleep but I know that it's not going to happen. We had to put my cat to sleep 3 years ago and that was really hard. She was old and she had cancer and fluid in her lungs but she was a strong and determined cat. I had her before I met my husband. After going through that, I know I don't want my dog to suffer but I also don't want to put him to sleep if he's not ready. The guilt of having the power of his fate is a lot to handle and it's a big decision. We don't know what to do but we do want what's best for him.

5 Comments:

Dhemz said...

oh no! I am so sad to read about this...this is a hard decision to make...my goodness! I don't even know what to do if that happens to our dog...how old is your dog? In my opinion I think it will be better if he will die normally....putting him to sleep is the same as euthanasia. I hope you guys are ready to face what will happen to your dog.

Daddy said...

I dread to think of having to do that to my Zoewe. I know it is hard. You just made me realised how previous is my Zoewe to us.

Enchie said...

awww...I wish Odin well...

Miss Mathew said...

Hey Azlina, Goodness ;( a very sad thng indeed..I lost my Rocky 2 yrs ago aftr 11 years! thtz 77 doggy years owh! I knw hw u must b feeling now...I didnt put Rocky to sleep,bcs I was too scared not hvng him around... but he suffered a lot..he got really2 sick... Gosh! I thnk I'm not helping u here..sorry...

Azlina Abu Bakar said...

Thank you everybody for all the well wishing. I'm sure everybody understand how hard and painful it is when you lose someone close to you.